By sharing our concerns and successes, we all benefit.

Animals live to serve us one way or another, so knowing how to take care of them is critical for our mutual well being.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Our greyhound died of a heatstroke

Last year, our big tan greyhound, Gibson went for a walk with me.  It was a hot day, so when he pulled back on the leash I did not think much of it because he often would do that, not caring for much of a walk. Then, he started salivating heavily.  I turned around, but he could not go on.  I put him under the shade of a tree and called for help.  We loaded him onto a blanket and carried him to the car, where we gave him water.  We rushed to the closest vet emergency clinic about a 20 minute drive, and watched in horror as he turned purple and lay in his diarrhea and vomit.  Gibson went fast.  If I had been more aware of the danger and signs of heat stroke, I might still have Gibson today.

It is 100+ degrees in our area today, and we are anticipating a fundraiser walkathon tomorrow, so it is a good time to review the facts.  I found an excellant article at DogChannel.com: http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-health/dog-heatstroke-survival-guide.aspx

I plan tomorrow to carry a water spray bottle and I have a cooler which is a dog coat made from material like car shammies with straps to stay in place.  There will be many water sources at the walkathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive